13 May 2013

Passive Aggressive A.I.

This morning, I got hooked on this speech command function of my mobile. You see, when your hormomes are not contributing to your mental health, you have to try anything to cheer yourself up.

"Text Husband", I put my lips near the phone and speak.
"Texting Husband. Say your message", responds the phone. The robo-voice sounds like a woman in her mid-40's to mid 50's.
"Good morning, how are you?" I say the most common greeting expression suitable for 7-ish am.
"Good morning how are you. You can say send or try again."
"Send."
The phone sends the message and closes the function automatically.

I press the button to summon the function again and say,
"I'm testing my speech command function."
My phone understands it perfectly and sends it swiftly to my husband. Oh this is fun!
I say another sentence. This time she gets it wrong. I try again. She still doesn't get it right.
"But she often misunderstands me." I say, and this time she shows the exact words.
"Send." I command and she sends it.

Oh my god, I thought, this is like a teeny baby step to Tony Stark's artificially intelligent computer.
"Oh my god I have my own Jarvis!" Although she doesn't read between the lines and put an exclamation mark at the end of the sentence, my voice can't hide the excitement. I was almost reaching the high point of my day.
"Oh my god I have my own job this. You can say send or try again", she goes.
"Oh my god I have my own Jarvis", I correct her.
"Oh my god I have my own joe this. You can say send or try again."
"J.A.R.V.I.S"
"Sorry, I didn't catch that."
"Jaaaaarrrrviiiiisssss."
"Gile's. You can say send or try again."
Okay, she has a long way to go before reaching Jarvis.
"You are so stupid." I sigh.
Then, Ms Speech Command Smarty Pants shuts herself down.

A few moments later, I manually type a message describing what just happened and send it to my husband.
"Passive aggressive behaviour from your phone." He replies.
"Yeah, big attitude coming from a robot." I text.
"How's that for artificial intelligence?"